- Mitochondrial DNA is Evolving, and That’s Amazing! Mitochondrial DNA is Evolving, and That’s Amazing!
This week in the news there have been a number of articles about a new technology that has allowed the creation of an embryo from three parents, and boy it is creating controversy. Three parents you say? Yes. Of a sort. The case in point r [...]
- Self Promotion! Self Promotion!
Here’s a new Emory video featuring yours truly.
- Tips For When One is Struggling with Laparoscopic Surgery Tips For When One is Struggling with Laparoscopic Surgery
There are days when laparoscopic surgery is a breeze. The anatomy is perfect. The view is beautiful. Your assistants are thinking three steps ahead of you. In other words, the way surgery happens in your dreams And then there are days w [...]
- What Not To Wear (Med School Interview Edition) What Not To Wear (Med School Interview Edition)
Yesterday I was going through my closet and separating out a lot of clothes that I no longer wear to give to Goodwill. Among the many things I selected to never see again, I noted a tie that I wore to my original medical school interviews. [...]
- Book Review: Baby Weight Book Review: Baby Weight
Quite some time ago Micky Morrison, a physical therapist and author, send me a copy of her book Baby Weight. I promised to give it a prompt review, and then promptly put it on my desk for about six months. As the fans that are still awar [...]
- MacArthur OB/GYN MacArthur OB/GYN
MacArthur OB/GYN is a medical practice located in both Irving and Euless, Texas specializing in obstetrics, gynecology and infertility serving the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex. Our physicians Dr. Peter Sakovich, Dr. Jeff Livingston, Dr. Cole [...]
- Accepting Applications for the MacArthur OB/GYN Student Scholarship Accepting Applications for the MacArthur OB/GYN Student Scholarship
- Enter Our Halloween Costume Contest Enter Our Halloween Costume Contest
- A Baby Shower benefiting The Community A Baby Shower benefiting The Community
- Back to School - Monday, August 27 Back to School - Monday, August 27
- Judy Slome Cohain makes a video Judy Slome Cohain makes a video
If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I guess I should be flattered that Judy Slome Cohain, CNM has noted the success of my video The truth about homebirth midwives, seen by nearly 10,000, and decided to make an imitation touting [...]
- Elder Babyslaughterers Elder Babyslaughterers
I don’t need no stinkin’ education! My autonomy is more important than whether your baby lives or dies! Don’t you dare hold me accountable! That seems to sum up the prevailing views on the Facebook page of Elder Midwives B [...]
- Why do homebirth and natural childbirth advocates have so much trouble with the truth? Why do homebirth and natural childbirth advocates have so much trouble with the truth?
There seems to be a big problem with telling the truth in the homebirth/natural childbirth universe. Yesterday I wrote about the lactation consultant who lies to her patients about her vaccination status, assuring them she has had a pertuss [...]
- Lactation consultant poses deadly risk to babies because she lies about her vaccination status Lactation consultant poses deadly risk to babies because she lies about her vaccination status
Imagine doing everything in your power to protect your vulnerable newborn, then having your baby die by contracting pertussis from your lactation consult or postpartum doula. Some mothers can imagine it and they are acting to prevent it. La [...]
- You can’t hide from the Breastapo! You can’t hide from the Breastapo!
Apparently it is not enough for lactivists that breastfeeding promotion is the official policy of the land. It is critical to purify the world by shaming women who choose to bottlefeed anyway. But bottle feeders have begun a stealth campaig [...]
The Blog That Ate Manhattan
- I Recall Central Park in Fall… I Recall Central Park in Fall…
A Photo Essay.
- A Dignified Plea for Death with Dignity A Dignified Plea for Death with Dignity
In a profoundly moving video, world-renowned microbiologist Dr. Donald Low makes a posthumous plea for legalizing death with dignity in Canada.
- Valley Green Valley Green
I love this place. Hands down, best place on earth to run, bike, walk or horseback ride. Even at its busiest, its never as crowded as Central Park. I caught this empty stretch last Sunday morning during a long walk with Jane after breakfas [...]
- Trash Picked – Large Lamp Trash Picked – Large Lamp
Yet another in a post series of great things we found in the trash. What: Large Wood Carved Lamp Where and When : 63rd between 1st and York, sometime in July 2013 Why We Picked it - We needed something for the big round table in the cottag [...]
- Big Apple Apples (and a recipe for Apple-Pear Sauce) Big Apple Apples (and a recipe for Apple-Pear Sauce)
We’ve got a real bumper crop of apples ripening on the tree on our roof right now. I’m not sure who or what to credit, since laisse faire has been our unintentional gardening principle this year. I think maybe I fed the trees t [...]