British Geriatrics Society
Med Page Today
- MedPage Today Geriatrics MedPage Today Geriatrics
We deliver breaking medical news in Geriatrics. Our health news stories offer free CME and CE credit to healhcare professionals. Accredited news is peer reviewed under the direction of the University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine, Off [...]
Med Page Today - Primary Care Geriatrics
Medical News Today - Alzheimer's / Dementia News
Medical News Today - Seniors / Aging News
Medicine Net - Senior Health
- Pedestrian safety program prevents student injuries Pedestrian safety program prevents student injuries
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Fewer kids were injured during early morning and after school hours once new traffic lights, pedestrian signals and speed bumps were put around New York City schools, a new study shows.
- Drugmakers report U.S. shortages of flu vaccine, Tamiflu Drugmakers report U.S. shortages of flu vaccine, Tamiflu
Roche Holding AG told Reuters late on Wednesday that it had a shortage of the liquid formulation of Tamiflu (oseltamivir), which is used mainly to slow down or stop the symptoms of the flu in children already infected with the virus [...]
- Patients rarely told about medication errors Patients rarely told about medication errors
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Patients and their families are rarely told when hospitals make mistakes with their medicines, according to a new study.
- NFL's Junior Seau had brain disease from blows to head NFL's Junior Seau had brain disease from blows to head
"The final diagnosis was findings consistent with chronic traumatic encephalopathy," Dr. Russell Lonser, the lead researcher on the case, told Reuters. Lonser is chairman of the Department of Neurological Surgery at Ohio Sta [...]
- Flu reaches epidemic level in U.S. Flu reaches epidemic level in U.S.
- Same factors influence depression in stroke patients, spouse caregivers Same factors influence depression in stroke patients, spouse caregivers
Self-esteem, optimism and perceived control influence depression in stroke survivors and their spouse caregivers. Healthcare providers should assess the survivor and caregiver as a pair, not separately. Self-esteem influenced each partners' [...]
- Tai Chi exercise may reduce falls in adult stroke survivors Tai Chi exercise may reduce falls in adult stroke survivors
Tai Chi exercise reduced falls among stroke survivors. The ancient Chinese martial art helped survivors achieve and maintain balance to aid stroke recovery.
- Native Hawaiians have bleeding strokes at earlier age, independent of meth use Native Hawaiians have bleeding strokes at earlier age, independent of meth use
Native Hawaiians have more bleeding strokes at an earlier age than other people independent of methamphetamine abuse. Besides genetics, environmental factors -- such as diet, stress, unhealthy lifestyles and a lack of good healthcare could [...]
- Smoking marijuana associated with higher stroke risk in young adults Smoking marijuana associated with higher stroke risk in young adults
Marijuana use may double the risk of stroke in young adults. The New Zealand findings are the first from a case-controlled study to indicate a potential link between marijuana and stroke.
- Stroke damage in mice overcome by training that 'rewires' brain centers Stroke damage in mice overcome by training that 'rewires' brain centers
Researchers have found that mice can recover from physically debilitating strokes that damage the primary motor cortex, the region of the brain that controls most movement in the body, if the rodents are quickly subjected to physical condit [...]