- Mitochondrial DNA is Evolving, and That’s Amazing! Mitochondrial DNA is Evolving, and That’s Amazing!
This week in the news there have been a number of articles about a new technology that has allowed the creation of an embryo from three parents, and boy it is creating controversy. Three parents you say? Yes. Of a sort. The case in point r [...]
- Self Promotion! Self Promotion!
Here’s a new Emory video featuring yours truly.
- Tips For When One is Struggling with Laparoscopic Surgery Tips For When One is Struggling with Laparoscopic Surgery
There are days when laparoscopic surgery is a breeze. The anatomy is perfect. The view is beautiful. Your assistants are thinking three steps ahead of you. In other words, the way surgery happens in your dreams And then there are days w [...]
- What Not To Wear (Med School Interview Edition) What Not To Wear (Med School Interview Edition)
Yesterday I was going through my closet and separating out a lot of clothes that I no longer wear to give to Goodwill. Among the many things I selected to never see again, I noted a tie that I wore to my original medical school interviews. [...]
- Book Review: Baby Weight Book Review: Baby Weight
Quite some time ago Micky Morrison, a physical therapist and author, send me a copy of her book Baby Weight. I promised to give it a prompt review, and then promptly put it on my desk for about six months. As the fans that are still awar [...]
- MacArthur OB/GYN MacArthur OB/GYN
MacArthur OB/GYN is a medical practice located in both Irving and Euless, Texas specializing in obstetrics, gynecology and infertility serving the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex. Our physicians Dr. Peter Sakovich, Dr. Jeff Livingston, Dr. Cole [...]
- Accepting Applications for the MacArthur OB/GYN Student Scholarship Accepting Applications for the MacArthur OB/GYN Student Scholarship
- Enter Our Halloween Costume Contest Enter Our Halloween Costume Contest
- A Baby Shower benefiting The Community A Baby Shower benefiting The Community
- Back to School - Monday, August 27 Back to School - Monday, August 27
- Government report: UK midwives put the lives of mothers and babies at risk Government report: UK midwives put the lives of mothers and babies at risk
I’ve been writing about this topic for years, from Promoting normal birth is killing mothers and babies to, only a few days ago, In the UK babies continue to die on the altar of vaginal birth, Along the way I’ve written about th [...]
- The hubris of homebirth midwives The hubris of homebirth midwives
Obstetricians are inherently humble. You can’t attend thousands of births and fail to be impressed with the unpredictability of life threatening complications. They can come out of nowhere. Within minutes a perfectly healthy baby can [...]
- Just another variation of normal at homebirth Just another variation of normal at homebirth
Woohoo! The Facebook page of Elder Midwives is a comedy goldmine! Indeed, I am beginning to wonder if it is real or a parody, since it’s difficult to imagine anyone as thoroughly clueless as these supposedly experienced “midwive [...]
- Natural childbirth advocates: it’s all in your head! Natural childbirth advocates: it’s all in your head!
I came across this comic on Facebook. It originated with NAMI of Oregon, an organization devoted to helping people with mental illness, and it was designed to satirize the way that people often chide those with mental illness, as if the ill [...]
- Have natural health advocates ever been right about anything? Have natural health advocates ever been right about anything?
Anti-vaccinationists have a perfect record. In the 200+ years since vaccine rejection came into being (shortly after vaccines came into being) they have been wrong about 100% of their claims. Pretty impressive, no? Yet, there are still vacc [...]
The Blog That Ate Manhattan
- I Recall Central Park in Fall… I Recall Central Park in Fall…
A Photo Essay.
- A Dignified Plea for Death with Dignity A Dignified Plea for Death with Dignity
In a profoundly moving video, world-renowned microbiologist Dr. Donald Low makes a posthumous plea for legalizing death with dignity in Canada.
- Valley Green Valley Green
I love this place. Hands down, best place on earth to run, bike, walk or horseback ride. Even at its busiest, its never as crowded as Central Park. I caught this empty stretch last Sunday morning during a long walk with Jane after breakfas [...]
- Trash Picked – Large Lamp Trash Picked – Large Lamp
Yet another in a post series of great things we found in the trash. What: Large Wood Carved Lamp Where and When : 63rd between 1st and York, sometime in July 2013 Why We Picked it - We needed something for the big round table in the cottag [...]
- Big Apple Apples (and a recipe for Apple-Pear Sauce) Big Apple Apples (and a recipe for Apple-Pear Sauce)
We’ve got a real bumper crop of apples ripening on the tree on our roof right now. I’m not sure who or what to credit, since laisse faire has been our unintentional gardening principle this year. I think maybe I fed the trees t [...]