Playing With Angels
- Conductor steps! :) Conductor steps! :)
Just a normal working day! I have counted my “conductor steps” today in work with a pedometer. 5519 steps in 5 hours working in the Peto Institute. Impressive, isn’t it? :) If you have a similar device, join me and count y [...]
- Megan Inspires Others with Speech on Cerebral Palsy Megan Inspires Others with Speech on Cerebral Palsy
An 18-year-old student from Etna is inspiring others through her experiences living with cerebral palsy. Megan Fowler is a senior at Nokomis High School in Newport. She wants to travel the world, educating others and promoting understanding [...]
- 1% More Chance! 1% More Chance!
- Happy – Peto Institute, Budapest – “Csibészke” group Happy – Peto Institute, Budapest – “Csibészke” group
Congratulations! It is amazing! :)
- Life with Conductive Education Life with Conductive Education
This is Yewande, a beautiful young lady who has Cerebral Palsy. I met her in the Peto Institute where she was attending the Conductive Education Summer Camp. I asked her to share her experience with us and I am so thankful to publish it! Re [...]
Love That Max
- The simple gesture that transformed my crappy day The simple gesture that transformed my crappy day
I couldn't wait to get the injection.I've had a frozen shoulder for several months. It's gotten to the point where it is hurting 24/7. I wake up in the middle of the night, in pain, and cannot find a comfortable sleep position. Advil is my [...]
- A kid for just a little longer: The joys of parenting children with special needs A kid for just a little longer: The joys of parenting children with special needs
Max giggles. I have just informed him that, yes, he is going to be able to have his birthday party at the fire station. Well, not technically. First, I'll be renting out a room in the civic house across the street, and after pizza and ice-c [...]
- Exactly how to deal with lice Exactly how to deal with lice
First: Get an email from another parent informing you that two kids your child had a playdate with today have been found to have lice and she strongly suggests you check your kid. Or school sends home a letter that a kid in your child's cla [...]
- Hey, Kanye West: Being closed-minded is a disability, too Hey, Kanye West: Being closed-minded is a disability, too
"I can't do this show until everybody stand up," Kanye West told his concert audience in Sydney on Friday night. "Unless you got a handicap pass and you get special parking and s**t."This is not a guy known for his tact, but this weekend it [...]
- The Special Needs Blogger Weekend Link-up: At your service The Special Needs Blogger Weekend Link-up: At your service
Welcome to the link-up, your post's home away from home. Settle in, put your feet up, make yourself comfortable. What to doScroll all the way down to the bottom of this post. Where it says "Your name" put the name of the blog foll [...]
- How Music Touches the Brain. How Music Touches the Brain.
Music has always and will always be an important tool in the Snowdrop Programme. Apart from providing 'The Listening Programme' in conjunction with US neurotechnology company 'Advanced Brain Technologies' we use several structured tec [...]
- The Importance of Tummy Time. The Importance of Tummy Time.
When you consider the size of a newborn’s head compared to the rest of his tiny body and add the fact that for many months after birth his muscle strength is low, you can see why spending time on his tummy can be frustrating. This [...]
- Parts of the Brain Can Switch Functions. Parts of the Brain Can Switch Functions.
A key term in this article is "experience can have really a big impact on the function of a piece of brain tissue.” The entire rationale of the Snowdrop programme is to provide the brain with this neccesary 'experience' through the provis [...]
- How Repetition Changes the Structure of the Brain. How Repetition Changes the Structure of the Brain.
The more we repeat something, the better we get at it; this much is uncontroversial. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t worth examining. The connection between repeating an action or a skill and then improving because of that repe [...]
- The Power of Music to Influence Brain Development. The Power of Music to Influence Brain Development.
Yet more evidence this morning of the power of music not only to influence brain plasticity, but to make the brain's auditory system more efficient."The effects of music training in relation to brain plasticity have caused excitement, evide [...]
Conductive Education in B.C.
- Redundanshi. Redundanshi.
Why is it that on the day when yer wife says, "I wanna go out for sushi tonight," that all you have in the fridge for lunch is rice and veggies? What to do?
- You want to help? Get out of [IN] the way. You want to help? Get out of [IN] the way.
I know I've beaten this phrase to death; but the memory of it stands out so clear. My Dad had the Volvo up on jacks, in the garage, during one of our Minnesota winters. He had his wood-burning stove going too; and I don't [...]
- Irresistable or not? Irresistable or not?
In my family, where we have my son 50%; and his school is NOT conductively oriented; it has been a long, somewhat sad road. I've been asking his teachers for YEARS to consider doing things a different way. I've been met with a cascade of [...]
- Invite to those interested in starting a BC CE Association. Invite to those interested in starting a BC CE Association.
I think it's time to organize a BC CE Association. Working in a vacuum is ridiculous, especially when I see how quick folks want to work conductive education into their programs; be it home schooling, a publi [...]
- Least Necessary Help. . . Least Necessary Help. . .
Holy smokes. Seriously, this one kills me; because in the world of able-bodied edumacation, "least necessary help" is the absolute norm. Overexplaining, overly necessary help, simply strangles the educational opportunities that [...]
Conductive Education Information
- Re-launch of Virtual Conductive Education Library catalogue Re-launch of Virtual Conductive Education Library catalogue
In 2010 I started compiling a virtual catalogue of Conductive Education items available on, and via, the Internet. These early listings of items, arranged under subject headings, can still be found posted on a blog at http: [...]
- New Conductive Education services starting in January 2014 New Conductive Education services starting in January 2014
January sees the start of Conductive Education services in Bristol, UK. The Bristol CE Pilot Project is part of Megan Baker House's outreach services and will be run by Natalie Sanchez, a British conductor. This is a first for this par [...]
- Books from Conductive Education Press. Tell me what you think Books from Conductive Education Press. Tell me what you think
In all forms of retail it helps to know what the market wants and needs, and what it is prepared to shop and pay for. More importantly who is doing the shopping. Conductive Education Press is no different.Conductive Education Press was set [...]
- Adult Conductive Education sessions in the US - update Adult Conductive Education sessions in the US - update
On 7 November I posted information about the future sessions of Conductive Education being offered in the US for those with Parkinson's by Maria Heine.http://www.gillian-maguire.info/2013/11/new-conductive-education-services-for.htmlThis in [...]
- Email hacking Email hacking
Andrew Sutton's email has been hacked and people have been getting notes asking for money. This is a scam as he has posted on his blog athttp://www.conductive-world.info/2013/11/it-is-scam.htmlIt seems that it is getting harder to be safe f [...]
- STILL MORE JOBS STILL MORE JOBS
Conductor job marketThree weeks ago Conductive World Market posted 'Jobs, jobs, jobs', reporting adverts for vacant positions for conductors in ten countries over August. This brief item has attracted approaching five hundred hits, a lot of [...]
- IN FRANCE, ONE BLOGS IN FRANCE, ONE BLOGS
More than someStirrings on the ground in France are reflected by activity in Cyberspace, emergence of a Francophone blogosphere:http://www.honorineetsesamis.org/http://www.cecdugard.blogspot.co.uk/http://lamaisonescargot.over-blog.com/In th [...]
- US CE: RAISING THE SIGHTS US CE: RAISING THE SIGHTS
Local hero to national contenderI guess that there is rarely a single US anything. The country is just too vast and too diverse.As far as CE programs are concerned, is it possible to spot central tendencies emerging, or are the circumstance [...]
- PAF, 11 SEPTEMBER 2014 PAF, 11 SEPTEMBER 2014
András Pető's birthdaySteady as she goesYesterday was 11 September, András Pető's birthday and the anniversary of his death. Ceremonies were to be held over the day at the newly renamed András PetőCollege in Kútvölgyi út, at
- MAKARENKO SYMPOSIUM MAKARENKO SYMPOSIUM
Real-time online discussionСовременное макаренковедениеИстория, состояние, перспективы30 October 2014From the University of Minsk, Elena Ilantdinova has confirmed details via Facebook:https://www.
- The new school term starts tomorrow The new school term starts tomorrow
I returned to Germany on Saturday evening in time to unpack and then start work today after a whole month of being English, in England. I set out to work at seven thirty this morning to find the roads chock-a-block with traffic even though [...]
- Muzsikás Muzsikás
Hungary 2003, by Susie Mallett Transylvanian Blueshttp://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03phpfwSomething for you to listen to this weekend, I enjoyed it and I hope you do too.All my colleagues are either on their way to Hungary or looking forwa [...]
- Using common sense to live life Using common sense to live life
Blackbird singing from the top of a chapel by Susie Mallett, June 2014I was reminded this morning when I read one of Andrew Sutton’s recent blog postings – Drip, drip, drip – http://www.conductive-world.info/2014/07/dripdrip-drip-engl [..
- Motivation ... the power of words and actions Motivation ... the power of words and actions
On the top of my fridge is a sign that says Never, Never, Never, Never GIVE UP! It was a present from a friend and it is one of those special objects in my flat that I notice daily. It stands in front of the microwave so that I have to pic [...]
- Knock oder Triumph der Medizin and András Pető Knock oder Triumph der Medizin and András Pető
Knock oder Triumph der Medizin and András PetőI expect that anyone else who has read András Pető’s Unfug der Krankheit- Triumph der Heilkunst and also sat in the audience to watch Knock oder Der Triumph der Medizin would also have be [..
- Does Conductive Education have a distinctive view of cerebral palsy? Does Conductive Education have a distinctive view of cerebral palsy?
I'd really welcome any response to this question: Does Conductive Education have a distinctive view of cerebral palsy? (Or of motor dysfunction more generally, if you prefer). Searching the internet easily results in a wealth of description [...]
- One small blog, the Rotherham abuse report & the search for managers responsible One small blog, the Rotherham abuse report & the search for managers responsible
As can be seen below, it's a busy day if visitors to this small and rather narrowly special interest blog amount to 10 visitors. However, the impact on the visitor stats of the Rotherham abuse story is dramatically revealed by...
- The power of the internet. An awful news story. How should one respond? The power of the internet. An awful news story. How should one respond?
The power of the internet? The awfulness of a near-local news story of the organised abuse of children? How should one respond? As I begin writing this at 07.15am, this blog has had 47 visitors in the past 8 hours...
- First notice: Paces Seminars 2014. Children and Families Act. Where are we now? First notice: Paces Seminars 2014. Children and Families Act. Where are we now?
Paces Seminars are becoming an annual event! For our 3rd annual seminar, we are returning to the subject of the Children and Families Act and asking "Where are we now?" The web site is still a 'work in progress', with...
- Charting a way through the Children and Families Act 2014 Charting a way through the Children and Families Act 2014
A great, simple way to understand aspects of the C&F Act 2014 visually has been produced by the always excellent Special Needs Jungle (in passing - Debs Aspland of SNJ spoke at Paces Seminars last year) in a joint project...