Playing With Angels
- Conductor steps! :) Conductor steps! :)
Just a normal working day! I have counted my “conductor steps” today in work with a pedometer. 5519 steps in 5 hours working in the Peto Institute. Impressive, isn’t it? :) If you have a similar device, join me and count y [...]
- Megan Inspires Others with Speech on Cerebral Palsy Megan Inspires Others with Speech on Cerebral Palsy
An 18-year-old student from Etna is inspiring others through her experiences living with cerebral palsy. Megan Fowler is a senior at Nokomis High School in Newport. She wants to travel the world, educating others and promoting understanding [...]
- 1% More Chance! 1% More Chance!
- Happy – Peto Institute, Budapest – “Csibészke” group Happy – Peto Institute, Budapest – “Csibészke” group
Congratulations! It is amazing! :)
- Life with Conductive Education Life with Conductive Education
This is Yewande, a beautiful young lady who has Cerebral Palsy. I met her in the Peto Institute where she was attending the Conductive Education Summer Camp. I asked her to share her experience with us and I am so thankful to publish it! Re [...]
Love That Max
- What I think when I watch him sleep What I think when I watch him sleep
If I turn on the hall light outside the kids' rooms, it sheds enough light to let me stand in their rooms beside their beds and watch them sleeping. Stalker Mom (me) does this every once in a while, especially after long, hard days when I n [...]
- Good summer fun: A reading under the stars party Good summer fun: A reading under the stars party
Sunday night, to celebrate Sabrina's departure for camp and summer in general, we did a Reading Under The Stars party with the kids. It's the theme of this year's Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge; I'm one their sponsored blogge [...]
- A not-sad goodbye A not-sad goodbye
Sabrina's doing a stint at an overnight camp, and I've wondered if Max would miss her. I know how much I'm going to, so I sat down to write a little card for her to tuck in her backpack and open when she arrived. Max walked over and asked t [...]
- Better than it used to be Better than it used to be
"It's amazing—we had a family dinner and a movie night out," Dave said as we all drove home at 9:00 last night. We were both incredulous.Max has been planning to see Planes Fire And Rescue for months now. He had me write the opening date, J [...]
- The Special Needs Blogger Weekend Link-up: It's inclusive The Special Needs Blogger Weekend Link-up: It's inclusive
It's the Special Needs Blogger Weekend Link-up, open to anyone who writes about disability, parent or not. Share a recent favorite post! Heck, share two. What to doScroll all the way down to the bottom of this post. Where it says "Your name [...]
- How Music Touches the Brain. How Music Touches the Brain.
Music has always and will always be an important tool in the Snowdrop Programme. Apart from providing 'The Listening Programme' in conjunction with US neurotechnology company 'Advanced Brain Technologies' we use several structured tec [...]
- The Importance of Tummy Time. The Importance of Tummy Time.
When you consider the size of a newborn’s head compared to the rest of his tiny body and add the fact that for many months after birth his muscle strength is low, you can see why spending time on his tummy can be frustrating. This [...]
- Parts of the Brain Can Switch Functions. Parts of the Brain Can Switch Functions.
A key term in this article is "experience can have really a big impact on the function of a piece of brain tissue.” The entire rationale of the Snowdrop programme is to provide the brain with this neccesary 'experience' through the provis [...]
- How Repetition Changes the Structure of the Brain. How Repetition Changes the Structure of the Brain.
The more we repeat something, the better we get at it; this much is uncontroversial. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t worth examining. The connection between repeating an action or a skill and then improving because of that repe [...]
- The Power of Music to Influence Brain Development. The Power of Music to Influence Brain Development.
Yet more evidence this morning of the power of music not only to influence brain plasticity, but to make the brain's auditory system more efficient."The effects of music training in relation to brain plasticity have caused excitement, evide [...]
Conductive Education in B.C.
- Redundanshi. Redundanshi.
Why is it that on the day when yer wife says, "I wanna go out for sushi tonight," that all you have in the fridge for lunch is rice and veggies? What to do?
- You want to help? Get out of [IN] the way. You want to help? Get out of [IN] the way.
I know I've beaten this phrase to death; but the memory of it stands out so clear. My Dad had the Volvo up on jacks, in the garage, during one of our Minnesota winters. He had his wood-burning stove going too; and I don't [...]
- Irresistable or not? Irresistable or not?
In my family, where we have my son 50%; and his school is NOT conductively oriented; it has been a long, somewhat sad road. I've been asking his teachers for YEARS to consider doing things a different way. I've been met with a cascade of [...]
- Invite to those interested in starting a BC CE Association. Invite to those interested in starting a BC CE Association.
I think it's time to organize a BC CE Association. Working in a vacuum is ridiculous, especially when I see how quick folks want to work conductive education into their programs; be it home schooling, a publi [...]
- Least Necessary Help. . . Least Necessary Help. . .
Holy smokes. Seriously, this one kills me; because in the world of able-bodied edumacation, "least necessary help" is the absolute norm. Overexplaining, overly necessary help, simply strangles the educational opportunities that [...]
Conductive Education Information
- Re-launch of Virtual Conductive Education Library catalogue Re-launch of Virtual Conductive Education Library catalogue
In 2010 I started compiling a virtual catalogue of Conductive Education items available on, and via, the Internet. These early listings of items, arranged under subject headings, can still be found posted on a blog at http: [...]
- New Conductive Education services starting in January 2014 New Conductive Education services starting in January 2014
January sees the start of Conductive Education services in Bristol, UK. The Bristol CE Pilot Project is part of Megan Baker House's outreach services and will be run by Natalie Sanchez, a British conductor. This is a first for this par [...]
- Books from Conductive Education Press. Tell me what you think Books from Conductive Education Press. Tell me what you think
In all forms of retail it helps to know what the market wants and needs, and what it is prepared to shop and pay for. More importantly who is doing the shopping. Conductive Education Press is no different.Conductive Education Press was set [...]
- Adult Conductive Education sessions in the US - update Adult Conductive Education sessions in the US - update
On 7 November I posted information about the future sessions of Conductive Education being offered in the US for those with Parkinson's by Maria Heine.http://www.gillian-maguire.info/2013/11/new-conductive-education-services-for.htmlThis in [...]
- Email hacking Email hacking
Andrew Sutton's email has been hacked and people have been getting notes asking for money. This is a scam as he has posted on his blog athttp://www.conductive-world.info/2013/11/it-is-scam.htmlIt seems that it is getting harder to be safe f [...]
- ONLINE SYMPOSIUM ONLINE SYMPOSIUM
Interesting topic – interesting modelAnnouncementSymposium'Modern Makarenko studies: history, current state and prospects'An international symposium will be held in October 2014, with participation from academics and practitioners from Ger [...]
- RERAILING VYGOTSKII RERAILING VYGOTSKII
Fresh thinkingThrough combination of ideological and linguistic misunderstandings, some hapless some an offence to any scholarly process, L. S. Vygotskii has had a very poor run in the Western world. That has not of course had anything to d [...]
- DEVELOPMENT DERAILED DEVELOPMENT DERAILED
A little reminder from L. S. VygotskiiOne has to regard this problem as a social problem. Psychologically speaking, if a physical deficit means social derailment then, pedagogically speaking, to educate this child means to set him back on t [...]
- BITTER-SWEET BITTER-SWEET
A glimpse into the pastIn the evening of 1 April 1986 BBC 1 showed a 50-minute TV programme called Standing up for Joe. It would be fair to say that it caused quite some consternation:http://www.conductive-world.info/2014/04/conductive-educ [...]
- FRENCH REVOLUTION? FRENCH REVOLUTION?
Two new micro-centres in FranceOn cherche des conducteursTwo new entries today on Conductive World's Facebook page:QUELQUECHOSE DE NOUVELLE EN FRANCENew French micro-centreCentre d'éducation conductive du Gard Read more → htt [...]
- Motivation ... the power of words and actions Motivation ... the power of words and actions
On the top of my fridge is a sign that says Never, Never, Never, Never GIVE UP! It was a present from a friend and it is one of those special objects in my flat that I notice daily. It stands in front of the microwave so that I have to pic [...]
- Knock oder Triumph der Medizin and András Pető Knock oder Triumph der Medizin and András Pető
Knock oder Triumph der Medizin and András PetőI expect that anyone else who has read András Pető’s Unfug der Krankheit- Triumph der Heilkunst and also sat in the audience to watch Knock oder Der Triumph der Medizin would also have be [..
- Dergin Tokmak – Dergin Tokmak –
Having fun at something new - Nordic walking on a bike! A German dancer with Cirque du SoleilWhen Nick Maley the Yoda Man was with us in Nürnberg he spoke to us about having ambitions and having high expectations of ourselves. He talked ab [...]
- Passions Passions
Nature communications shared with my Dad in Norfolk, 2014Storm damage in Walcott, 2014Conductor’s skillsI have always found it interesting to discover what skills my fellow conductors have.I do not mean what hobbies they have. I mean their [...]
- Sport in a wheelchair, Sport im Rollstuhl Sport in a wheelchair, Sport im Rollstuhl
Team Sky GB in Nürnberg, winner Geraint Thomas wearing the yellow jersey by Susie Mallett, June 2014 On 23rd August from 11.00-18.00, at Hanov [...]
- ActionCP 2nd Parliamentary Inquiry session into cerebral palsy ActionCP 2nd Parliamentary Inquiry session into cerebral palsy
On 15th July, Action Cerebral Palsy (ActionCP) was back in Parliament for the second session of the Parliamentary inquiry, led by Paul Maynard MP. This time, the Inquiry heard from specialists from a number of ActionCP consortium centres. W [...]
- Care Act guidance for local authorities - who speaks up for those with cerebral palsy? Care Act guidance for local authorities - who speaks up for those with cerebral palsy?
I have asked before on this blog, who speaks up for those with cerebral palsy. Once again I notice the energy and focus the National Autistic Society brings to speaking up for their people. NAS has launched "Careless" - a...
- Action Cerebral Palsy – First Evidence Session at House of Commons Action Cerebral Palsy – First Evidence Session at House of Commons
This report of the first evidence sesssion has kindly been contributed by Ian Sansbury on behalf of Action Cerebral Palsy: Action Cerebral Palsy – First Evidence Session The first evidence session of the Action Cerebral Palsy parliamentary [...]
- The cost of cerebral palsy in the UK. Who wants to know? The cost of cerebral palsy in the UK. Who wants to know?
So the cost of Autism in the UK is £32bn a year, according to a report published on the BBC News website. Research suggests the economic cost of supporting someone with autism over a lifetime (£1.5m in the UK and...
- Skatepark for wheelchair users Skatepark for wheelchair users
OK. Arguments for and against from conductors, please. Would you have one in your centre? "A skatepark designed specifically for wheelchair users is being planned by a children's charity." BBC News "Petersfield wheelchair skatepark planned"